MainImage

MainImage

Sunday, November 3, 2013

Today's Poem or Short Story Prompt: The Word "Ghost"

This blog is devoted to a select group of poets. We're starting with poets from the Ann Arbor area, but, hey, if you're from Detroit, Grand Rapids, Saginaw or the Upper Peninsula, then that is okay, too.  We've even been so generous to accept poets from other parts of the USA and the entire country of Canada!  

Our goal is to provide you with a prompt every day from which you are to garner inspiration and submit a poem. How to submit will be very easy.  Just put your poem or short story  in the comments section and hit post. You may not immediately see your post, but it is there under the "Comments" section. You may need to click on "Comments" to see your poem.  It is there on another page.

You may need to have a Gmail or Yahoo or AOL account to post in the comments section.  Most of you do have Gmail or Yahoo or AOL, but for those of you that don't, it's extremely worthwhile to open up one of these email accounts now!  This way you've got a chance to get your work out there in the world.

Today's poem or short story prompt is the word "ghost."



3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ghost

    Now that you are dead
    I have a relationship with your ghost
    The relationship is only slightly less real
    Than the one I had with you when you were alive

    An Irish wake leaves little time for sorrow
    We are a people who shun our sadness and loss
    I touched your hand for a moment
    Held my breath at how hard and inflexible
    How heavy a dead hand feels

    In a dream last night
    You were still unavailable
    Though I'm the creator of the dream
    You still had that power
    Your back turned away from me
    Your concentration on the cards
    Poker much more of a thrill
    Than your twelve-year old daughter

    We never escape it, do we?
    Not completely anyway
    No matter how I've tried
    Put away all my childish things
    I'll always be your child
    Even when I'm ninety
    Even if I live to a hundred

    Catherine Powers
    November 3, 2013
    Copyright 2013

    ReplyDelete


  3. I wanted to paint it
    A portrait of a ghost
    I wanted to capture the sense of
    Empty space
    And the sense of
    Uncertainty and abandon

    The portrait came out badly
    Because all I had to work with
    Was a box of tools my father had left me
    And some old stockings

    The composition was flawed
    But not enough to ruin the picture

    What was lacking was any sense of sound and motion
    She was stiff and formal
    No matter how much I tried to convince her to relax


    - Mike Fedel
    November 2013

    ReplyDelete