MainImage

MainImage

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Today's Poem or Short Story Prompt: The Word "Profile"

This blog is devoted to a select group of poets. We're starting with poets from the Ann Arbor area, but, hey, if you're from Detroit, Grand Rapids, Saginaw or the Upper Peninsula, then that is okay, too.  We've even been so generous to accept poets from other parts of the USA and the entire country of Canada!  

Our goal is to provide you with a prompt every day from which you are to garner inspiration and submit a poem. How to submit will be very easy.  Just put your poem or short story  in the comments section and hit post. You may not immediately see your post, but it is there under the "Comments" section. You may need to click on "Comments" to see your poem.  It is there on another page.

You may need to have a Gmail or Yahoo or AOL account to post in the comments section.  Most of you do have Gmail or Yahoo or AOL, but for those of you that don't it's extremely worthwhile to open up one of these email accounts now!  That way you've got a chance to get your work out there in the world.Today's poem or short story prompt is the word "profile."




3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Profile

    If I had nothing to compare my life to
    I might have been happy
    If I were hatched
    Versus "brought up"
    I might have avoided lengthy suffering
    Or maybe sorrow
    (Suffering is what I cultivated from sorrow)
    If I had not watched afternoon movies as a child
    Hosted by a once attractive starlet
    Who gave me the low-down
    The back story
    On the short tragic life of John Garfield

    **
    The secret to happiness
    Is to hold very low expectations
    I don't know where I first heard this
    When I was younger I found it
    A cynical contemptuous statement
    In my forties I thought it a slyly humorous one
    Yet I've lived into the accuracy of the sentiment
    The wisdom
    The sanity and the sophistication
    Who'd have dreamed
    The genuineness
    The gospel I've created from that phrase
    I write it in soap on windows and mirrors
    I've made dozens of bumper stickers
    Given them to my friends as gifts
    I share the phrase with co-workers
    Who think I think I'm Yoda
    Or the Dali Lama's auburn-haired cousin

    **
    I sit in my bedroom
    On the bed with no headboard
    Propped up by five pillows
    As straight and down-to-earth
    As the letter 'L'
    If for one hour I stop the comparisons
    As I am not a Syria
    Or a well-pensioned traveller
    Or a woman with a flat belly
    Or a woman who loves her husband
    I know I will for that space
    My parenthesised allotment
    I can be happy
    I have that potential

    Catherine Powers
    September 7, 2013
    Copyright 2013

    ReplyDelete
  3. SKETCHED IN PROFILE


    Everything is profile
    outline, sketch
    approximation

    Everything is indicated
    pointed-at, referred-to

    The center never fully gels
    nothing ever goes completely solid
    except maybe a slice of cold pizza
    left out overnight
    because something else
    more important
    had to be done

    The fantasy of the concrete --
    knowledge
    beyond context,
    absolute
    grasped once and for all --
    is so precious and naive
    it makes me smile
    the same sad kind of smile
    I get when I see the pizza
    on the counter the next morning.


    - Mike Fedel
    September, 2013

    ReplyDelete