MainImage

MainImage

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Today's Poem or Short Story Prompt: The Word "Pray"

This blog is devoted to a select group of poets. We're starting with poets from the Ann Arbor area, but, hey, if you're from Detroit, Grand Rapids, Saginaw or the Upper Peninsula, then that is okay, too.  We've even been so generous to accept poets from other parts of the USA and the entire country of Canada!  

Our goal is to provide you with a prompt every day from which you are to garner inspiration and submit a poem. How to submit will be very easy.  Just put your poem or short story  in the comments section and hit post. You may not immediately see your post, but it is there under the "Comments" section. You may need to click on "Comments" to see your poem.  It is there on another page.

You may need to have a Gmail or Yahoo or AOL account to post in the comments section.  Most of you do have Gmail or Yahoo or AOL, but for those of you that don't, it's extremely worthwhile to open up one of these email accounts now!  This way you've got a chance to get your work out there in the world.

Today's poem or short story prompt is the word "pray".


3 comments:

  1. I'll Call You

    When I get depressed these days, I call up 1-800-Now Pray. I'm not joking. There really is a 1-800-Now Pray. It's been around for 100 years or more. Someone has answered the phone prayer line twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days of the year. An older widower in my grief support group told me about it. Malcolm Start. He had lost his wife to bone cancer the year before. He said he never had many friends and he had worked all the time, so he hadn't developed hobbies. He and his wife couldn't have kids, but she always had standard poodles. She was crazy for the breed, he said.

    "Some days that's the only thing gets me out of the house. Those dogs staring at me and running to the door each time I get near it. They were here dogs but they're mine now. They're company, you know?"

    "I always thought I'd go before her. I eat bacon and drink too much coffee and I never exercised, except to go with Kate for an after-dinner walk."

    I just listened. Listened and smiled. A sad smile. We all have sad smiles in this group.

    "I can't sleep at night so I stay up and watch TV. I know that's not good and I've got to break the habit, but I'm not going to take sleeping pills.I don't want to end up driving down I-94 in my sleep or pulling in the drive-thru ordering a dozen Big Macs ."

    "Yeah, I've heard about that Ambien stuff," I said.

    "But, the prayer line. The prayer line. You call it, any hour of the day, and they've got a person who will pray with you. If you've got a prayer request they'll pray on it for the next 30 days."

    "Kate, I'm not going to tell you my prayer, but I'm on day 18 of my thirty days, and I'm feeling a little better. A little more hopeful. I mean, I'm talking to you, aren't I?"

    "Yes, you are," I said

    "So, if you're feeling those feelings you were talking about tonight. Like you want to drive off the road at a high speed and see if you hit a tree, well, I want you to call that prayer line."

    "What if I called you?" I asked.

    He looked at me seriously, a questioning look on his face.

    "I'm not joking," I said. "Really."

    "Well," he paused. "Well, you can call me and I'll pray for you. I'll pray for you then and I'll pray for you the next thirty days. How's that sound?"

    "That sounds good," I said.

    "And you can use the prayer line for backup."

    Catherine Powers
    October 2013
    Copyright 2013

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like this one. Stripped down and powerful. Anyone who's had those feelings could relate.

      Delete
  2. THANK YOU


    Bell's Two Hearted
    I took another sip
    and tried not to overhear

    Their prayers were answered
    he had a job
    and she was well again

    Bells has an IBU of 55
    Just right for me
    Still don't know what it means

    They must have asked
    I assume that
    I might be wrong
    but I don't think so

    I don't want to ask
    I want to say thank you.

    The Bell's has an SRM
    of about 20

    At least they're praying...


    - Mike Fedel
    October, 2013

    ReplyDelete