MainImage

MainImage

Thursday, April 25, 2013

Today's Poem or Short Story Prompt: The Word "exhaust / exhausted"



This blog is devoted to a select group of poets. We're starting with poets from the Ann Arbor area, but, hey, if you're from Detroit, Grand Rapids, Saginaw or the Upper Peninsula, then that is okay, too.

Our goal is to provide you with a prompt every day from which you are to garner inspiration and submit a poem. How to submit will be very easy.  Just put your poem or short story  in the comments section and hit post. You may not immediately see your post, but it is there under the "Comments" section. You may need to click on "Comments" to see your poem.  It is there on another page.
You may need to have a Gmail account to post in the comments section.  Most of you do have Gmail, but for those of you that don't it's extremely worthwhile to open up one now!  That way you've got a chance to get your work out there in the world.


Today's poem or short story prompt is the word "exhaust / exhausted"




2 comments:

  1. Exhaust

    I hate goodbyes
    I don't like to think this time
    Will be the last time
    When I was a little girl
    My grandmother would visit from Boston
    Travel 900 miles to Michigan
    Stay two weeks with our family
    Then get in her Nova
    Point its green body due east
    She would not make it four houses
    Before my tears would begin
    I'd watch the car fade into the distance
    I'd wave wildly
    Stepping off the curb
    Out into the dangerous street
    "Goodbye, goodbye, goodbye, goodbye"
    I'd yell
    "Come back, come back, come back, come back"
    I'd pray to her until
    Only the white blue exhaust was visible
    I'd cry for a half-hour
    (A long time for a ten year old)
    Mope the rest of the day
    I gave her all my goodbyes
    Hundreds or thousands maybe
    I used up all of them
    For one lifetime
    At least

    Catherine Powers
    April 25, 2013
    Copyright 2013

    ReplyDelete
  2. A SHORT LIST
    OF TERMS THAT ARE
    EASILY CONFUSED


    tired
       I could have sworn
       that was the right exit.
       
       Maybe we should get a motel
       and start again in the morning.

    weary
       We've had this argument before,
       can't we just agree to disagree?
       
       No?
       
       All right,
       then can we at least skip over
       the part where you tell me
       it's because they didn't try
       hard enough?

    spent
       The yard looks as good as it's
       going to look this summer.
       
       Let's get some iced tea and
       just sit here a while.

    fatigued
       If she says "just 5 more to go"
       I am going to kill her.
       
       This is not worth it.
       
       It's only 20 pounds.
       And besides, I don't like those pants anyway.

    exhausted
       I
       can't
       do
       this
       anymore.
       
       ever.

    drained
       Just pour that down the sink,
       it's mostly corn syrup.


    - Mike Fedel
    April, 2013




    ReplyDelete