MainImage

MainImage

Sunday, July 21, 2013

Today's Poetry or Short Story Prompt The Word "Lamp"

This blog is devoted to a select group of poets. We're starting with poets from the Ann Arbor area, but, hey, if you're from Detroit, Grand Rapids, Saginaw or the Upper Peninsula, then that is okay, too.

Our goal is to provide you with a prompt every day from which you are to garner inspiration and submit a poem. How to submit will be very easy.  Just put your poem or short story  in the comments section and hit post. You may not immediately see your post, but it is there under the "Comments" section. You may need to click on "Comments" to see your poem.  It is there on another page.


You may need to have a Gmail account to post in the comments section.  Most of you do have Gmail, but for those of you that don't it's extremely worthwhile to open up one now!  That way you've got a chance to get your work out there in the world.

Today's poem or short story prompt is "lamp".



3 comments:

  1. Done kissing Justice in that meme,
    Back solo on her island scene,
    She lifts her lamp beside the door,
    Of dear sweet Justice now forlorn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lamp Smasher

    Not a super heroine
    Nor an evil villainess
    Just an ordinary woman
    Fed up with her husband's hobby
    Of finding broken lamps in the garbage
    Every trash night a new promise
    To make the lamps whole and right
    Instead years later they sit in corners of the basement
    Halogens Pull Strings Goose Necks
    Torchieres Three-Ways Chandeliers
    One day I asked him how many days did he figure till he retired
    He told me that was at least thirty years away
    He'd be working into his 70s
    I knew it would be about that time he'd get around to fixing them
    As fixing the rollers on the closet
    The screens for the cat clawed window
    And the faucet that ceaselessly torments me
    Has taken the last five years

    That is why last night
    When he was out jogging the neighborhood
    Keeping his legs in the buffed condition
    That is a requirement for mental & physical health
    I took each lamp
    Carted it up the basement stairs and
    Threw it down the self-same stairs
    (I knew I would have to destroy them as years ago
    I had make the beginner's mistake of hauling them out to the trash
    In the morning of course they were back in the basement)
    A part of me sagged as I threw the lamps
    I'd stop believing the promises
    Had to acknowledge what was clearly happening
    My part in the incomplete
    So I took the step he could not

    That is why I am called The Lamp Smasher
    That is my story

    Catherine Powers
    July 22, 2013
    Copyright 2013

    ReplyDelete
  3. GRANDMA'S LAMP
    (a false memory)


    i asked mother just last night
    if she thought it would be all right
    for me to sit in bed and stare at
    my night light

    she asked if maybe I was scared
    of something hiding over there
    something i thought might catch me sleeping
    unawares

    i told her that it wasn't fear
    that made me want to have it here
    that lamp that grandma gave me and said
    keep it near

    i loved her so and now i miss
    her chocolate cake and bedtime kiss
    and looking at the lamp lets me
    reminisce

    my mother nodded, gave a smile
    and scruffed my hair (as was her style)
    and told me that I could stay up a
    little while


    Mike Fedel
    July, 2013

    ReplyDelete